Monday, September 28, 2009

I pruned my big rosemary bush today

The plant is just getting bigger and bigger.  I had to prune it back like I always do.  So I ended up with a big amount of lovely rosemary.  I am going to freeze some of it and dry some too.  But I have had this idea of making something from it for a room decoration.  So here is what I did.

I took a wire coat hanger, some side cutters, a pair of pliers and some florist wire and my big bunch of rosemary and a few lavender flowers.


Then I cut the hook part of the hanger off and formed a circle.


Next I sorted my rosemary into long, medium and short lengths.  An this is where I got to playing and forgot to take photos of the process.  I arranged the branches of rosemary on the circle and used the small florist wire to attach them to the hanger.  I just kept adding some and wiring it down.  Then I bunched the lavender flowers and some foliage and put it on the bottom and up the sides a bit.   And then I took some wire edged ribbon and made a bow and put it at the bottom of the wreath.  I also made a tab at the top to hang it with.  And this is what my creation turned out like.
You can't see the lavender very well as I am not the best photographer in the world.  (Hmmm, maybe I should buy that book I saw called Digital photography for dummies, or some such title like it.)
 This is a close up of the bow and the lavender.  It should dry nicely and make a dried wreath.  If it doesn't dry nicely and all the leaves fall off the twigs, it will look like a Christmas tree that was kept too long and all the needles fell off it.  It sure smells pretty right now!

So there was my crafty fun thing I did today.  Yeah, I know I should have been pickling peppers today instead.  But sometimes you have to do something creative and just for fun right?  : )

No comments: