Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Today I am thankful that we are getting the garden planted at last! Yesterday we, (we--being myself, Ed, my Dad and of course the girls "helped")planted the potatoes, corn, and sugar pumpkins, Butternut squash, Acorn squash and Buttercup squash in the new garden.

Even after planting 10 pounds of Russet Burbank white potato seed, 6 pounds of Red Lasoda and 6 pounds of German Butterball potato seed, and 7 rows of Early Bantam corn and the squash and pumpkin I have more space available in that new garden. So I have decided to plant my summer squash over there too and sugar snap peas for Mom.

Another thing I am so thankful for is yesterday when "we" were planting the garden in the afternoon, my Mom was in the house cooking dinner for everyone. That was such a blessing to me! We had a lovely dinner on my parents deck last night. Thanks Mom!

With those squash out of the main garden I will have lots of room for more beets, carrots and onions. Last year we didn't grow enough of them to last all winter.

In addition to what we normally grow this year we are adding our girls new favorite vegetable. Ready to hear what this is? You won't believe it. Brussel Sprouts!

Another thing I am thankful for is my Dad came out to the barn yesterday morning and helped me unload the 300 pounds of feed we bought while in Roseburg the day before. Thanks Dad!

Today we will work on getting more planted in the garden. This morning I will plan out where we are planting what in the main garden. I keep a plot plan of the year before so I can rotate my crops. We never plant the same thing in the same place from one year to the next. The plants use up different nutrients in the soil and we don't want any disease or pests that might have wintered over to attack the plants. Plus I pray over my garden while I am planting. : ) Talk about natural pesticide! : )

I need to get out the Diatomaceous earth before we plant the peppers and basil starts. I sprinkle it around the plants and it keeps the bugs away. I am not sure if it works for slugs or not, but we don't have a lot of them in the garden anymore. The first two years we were here, Ed was a slug killing machine! Plus keeping things mowed helps, as they have no place to hide during the day. They really don't care to be out in the hot sun.

Have a wonderful Thursday!

No comments: