Monday, June 1, 2009

June is here already.






Today it is thundering and probably going to shower on us before I can finish up planting the garden. I was hoping to get everything in before the rain came. Yesterday I got on fourth of the big garden planted. I have my pepper starts in the ground and my Dad planted 7 rows of different beans for me. This photo was taken from the barnyard looking towards the house of the main garden before I got anything planted in it.

Ed finished getting the new raspberries in the ground that my friend Sheila brought me. And he planted the two thornless blackberries that he gave me for my birthday. We will have lots of berries now.
Speaking of berries, we had to put some wire over top of the troughs where I had planted the strawberries, as we have a couple of hens who escape the barnyard and were scratching around in there and up rooted several plants. We found out where they were getting out. There was a tiny little spot under the gate near the hinge where they were squeezing under. Today there is a log there. : )

We are enjoying our ducklings so much. They are very fun to watch. Thirty little ducks and their mamas can put on quite a show!

There are only 6 days difference in the two hatching ages, but they grow so fast, that the difference is amazing.

Today they are napping in a big pile to keep warm. Lilac was babysitting while White Rose was off getting a bite to eat or laying an egg somewhere.
It is rather hard to see them in the straw.
Hard to believe there are 30 ducklings in that pile.Here you can see the little one and big ones together.




Here is the recent photo of the turkeys. They are much slower growing than the ducks or chickens. They are still such babies we leave the heat lamp on for them at night.

These two photos are of shots taken in the orchard.

This the the recent picture of the Dark Cornish chickens. The one here in the center is the prettiest hen, she is a pretty golden color compared to the darker others.

This the the beginnings of my new greenhouse. You can also see the half barrels we bought to transplant the citrus trees into. There is also a strip of brown bare ground to the right. That is where Ed planted the new raspberries and the two blackberry plants.

No comments: