Friday, September 17, 2010

What's Cooking?

Remember the beautiful cauliflower from my garden?  The purple, the cheddar colored and some white?  Here is a quick recipe for all those garden veggies available to us now.


I took some yellow crookneck squash, zucchini, assorted peppers, the yellow and purple cauliflower and chopped them.  I heated my big cast iron skillet and added about a tablespoon of coconut oil.  Then I cooked the veggies quickly in it.  Added a bit of sea salt and some pepper.  Meanwhile, I boiled some whole grain seashell pasta.


When it was finished cooking, I drained the pasta, added the veggies to it and a tad bit of butter and more sea salt.  Ta Da!  Lunch is served at Bountiful Acres!  I love cooking with fresh produce from my garden.  Sort of makes all that hard work worth it.

Speaking of hard work, here is what has been going on the past several weeks.
This is how our garden looked in June.
This is the garden in September!  It is so big and lush I had to take two photos to get the whole thing in view.  This is the view from the left side.


This is the view on the right side of the garden.



Here is a kettle full of summer squash.  I am going to blanch and freeze some of these.  We love to eat the small zucchini and crooknecks sauteed in butter with a fried egg for breakfast. 

Here we have a milk crate full of peppers.  The two big yellow things are lemon cucumbers.  The red pepper are my paprika peppers.  I love to dry them and then grind them for my own paprika powder.  It is just sooo good!

One big batch of my bell peppers and Anaheim peppers.  These were made into salsa today with my other big batch of peppers shown below.  I also used a big batch of tomatoes from the garden in this salsa.
Aren't those such pretty peppers? 



This is a photo of some of my apple juice and applesauce we made last week.  The apples are red, so they make a pretty pink color when cooked.

And the Lord really blessed my green bean harvest this year.  I took this photo during a bean canning session.  So this year thus far, I have 131 quarts of green beans canned and in the pantry from the garden.  Yes!  I was completely out of them. 

 Now you know why I haven't been online and blogging much.  I have been doing so much harvesting and putting food up for winter.  : )

I will share more with you as I go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bountiful Acres is certainly living up to it's name! Your homestead is blessed, that's for sure. Enjoy what the Lord is providing!

Deborah Swinson said...

Yes we are blessed! I am always so thankful for what the Lord provides us.